Saturday, February 19, 2011

Wallstreet: Money Never Sleeps

Very interesting movie.

I lived near NYC. Twice in my life. Loved the hustle, the busyness, the fashion, the loud noises, the shopping, the Broadway Shows, I absolutely loved how materialistic this city is.

But that was then. And this is now.

As we watched this movie last night, I couldn't help but compare my life now to how it was then. I feel worlds away, almost like I never even lived there. And I am so glad I didn't stay.

He was a great guy. He chased me harder than any guy had. He did a lot of things that made it very easy for me to fall in love with and look past things that normally would've bothered me. He was five years younger than me and it was a crazy kind of crush. A young, care free kind of love with no responsibilities but to have fun.

So, when it came time to move home to Utah, he made it difficult to want to leave. He was dangerous though and I knew that I was on a road that forked and he was standing on one path and the unknown was standing on the other.

He took me to the airport and stayed with me until I had to board. I found my seat and at this point a huge debate started going on in my mind. I had my phone in my hand, ready to punch in his phone number and tell him to come back and get me.

It took EVERYTHING in me to not stand up and walk off that plane. I wanted so badly to be with Him and I wanted the NYC lifestyle. But something deep down stopped me from punching in those numbers.

And now here I am living a simple, beautiful life in Alaska. Life is not rushed, its not materialistic and my happiness is not determined on how much money we have or if I have the latest designer jeans. I don't have taxi's blaring down my street, honking their horn.... just an occasional moose or two eating berries off a tree. Unlike New York, our streets don't smell like urine and people actually take time to say hello.

What a contrast! My life today compared to my life then. I have changed so much in who I am and what I want out of life. I use to pray that I would find a husband and life in NYC forever. I am so grateful for unanswered prayers. I would hate that life and it would've been very difficult to try and stay out of the "rat race" that exists in such thriving cities.

I am so at peace and feel very blessed to be in such a beautiful, serene atmosphere. Crime is relatively low, your neighbors are super friendly and people here love God. The high rise that you see are the mountains, not some skyscraper with 500 offices.

Alaska or NYC? I choose Alaska. Broadway or cross country skiing? I choose cross country skiing. Caviar or Salmon? I choose Salmon. Bullet Bike ride in Time-square or Sea Kayaking? I choose Sea Kayaking. Reading a book in Central Park or reading a book in front of the fire. I choose fire.

I freakin love this place. I hope this is what Heaven is like.

1 comment:

Melissa Hernandez said...

I agree, I love living the simple life too.