Friday, February 18, 2011

Goldberg

Ever meet someone, you hear their story and it touches you in such a way that makes you realize you didn't have it so bad?

Meet Goldberg.

Jewish convert in his 50's who grew up in Brooklyn. Goldberg was the first guy to show up and help us move in. Seems a little rough around the edges, but overall very nice guy.

Mrs. Goldberg. Beautiful Protestant Blonde, also a convert who grew up in Jersey. At the age of sixteen they both joined the church and later met at a church activity in the East Coast.

At seven years old Goldberg and his siblings were ripped from their home and placed in a orphanage. Their father was thrown in jail for murder and their mother was involved in too many of the wrong things to be fit to take care of them.

They never saw their home again.

Once he converted to Christianity, he had to hide it or he would've been kicked out of the orphanage.

He was always told that his father died in jail.

Then He found out he was alive and living, no longer in prison. He only had a year and a half to get to know his father before he was killed in a car accident. He never really knew his mother.

Now here they are, living in Alaska and both of them are still very active in the church.

I don't know why this story has touched me so much. I felt something so strong when Mrs. Goldberg shared her story with Me. I love hearing these stories. I love meeting people that didn't grow up in Utah and live the bubble life (like me).

I can't imagine being ripped from my home at such a young age, to see my father thrown in jail for murder and never feel my Mother's arms around Me again. And then, to leave Judaism and embrace a gospel such as ours.

He is an example of one who does not let the negative things in life affect him. He doesn't wallow in self pity and play a victim. He takes the bull by the horns and pushes forward. I've got a lot to learn from this man.

It's meeting people like this that really help strengthen my testimony. I feel honored that this gentleman even stepped foot in my home. He is a spiritual giant in my eyes and I look forward to getting to know the Goldberg's even more.

He is proof to me that God really loves those that he tries and that He never does give us something that we can't handle.



1 comment:

Trish said...

Love your posts, Ging! You always have so much insight! Thank you for sharing!!!!! :)