Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Government and Breastfeeding?

Why is the GOVERNMENT considering getting involved with this? What a freaking joke. Michelle Obama wants to give tax breaks to breast feeding mothers. Can you please worry about more important things going on Miss Obama?


Copy the link and put in your web browser to see what I'm talking about.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/4541722/tax-breaks-for-breast-feeding/?playlist_id=87093

8 comments:

Trish said...

Hmmm, maybe because a lot of able bodied women on welfare choose not to breast feed?? So maybe the government is paying for babies food unnecessarily? And maybe they want to reward woman to are doing healthy things for their children?? Not sure, but it seems awkward....just like all the million other things there are tax breaks for and the million and one things we ARE taxed for.

Megan and Jon said...

I hadn't even heard about this, how are they going to monitor that? A test. Now I can see low income ladies all over the planet lactating for years. Mercy. However given my current situation I'm totally for it.. :)

GINGERSPICE said...

It bugs me for many reasons, and I am a nursing mother. It just seems like one more thing for the government to get involved in, into the personal lives. What about all the mothers who do want to breastfeed but cannot?

It just seems like a very unfair thing to do, like you said Meghan, how in the world are they going to monitor it?

I guess I just believe most women would breastfeed if they could. There are many women that breastfeed and still get baby food.

I don't know why it rubs me the wrong way. I won't lie, I could use the money, but would rather see it go where its really needed. The Obama's just like to spend and spend and spend money we don't freakin have.

Sorry, hope I didn't offend either of you.

Meghan, I can't ever see your blog, will you invite me again? I think my invite has wore out.

How much longer do you have?

Melissa Hernandez said...

I think I am the only mormon that loves the obama administration! I think it's kind of cool that they are doing something so random (I know I can feel the harsh lashes coming my way after this comment!) Maybe it will enourage all the moms on WIC to really try to breastfeed and save the goverment from having to pay for rediculously expensive formula for them! Look at me trying to stir up controversy that I don't even have an interst in, LOL!! How are you doing up in Alaska...we just got a blizzard here, it's probably warmer up there!! LOL!! PS..do you still need help with scrapbooking stuff?

LaurenOpie said...

Ginger - I totally agree. Government has no place in my shirt. Seriously. And I also breastfed both of my babies. Also, I am kind of surprised at Melissa's comment...WIC encourages you to breastfeed. And I doubt if you get the tax break you will no longer qualify for WIC. Don't be fooled - they are not trying to get rid of anything, they are trying to create more of a dependence on the government. WIC for example - if you breastfeed gives you a BRAND NEW Medella breast pump, for free. Brand spankin new, $300 breast pump. I think that's encouragement enough to breastfeed!

LaurenOpie said...

Ginger it has been too long! I love reading your blog. I can't believe you are in Alaska!! I remember you talking about living and working there and it has always made me want to visit. Anyway back on the subject - yes WIC gives you a MEDELLA BREAST PUMP! We were in a situation right after I had Abigail where we qualified for WIC and I really didn't know what it entailed, besides milk and cheese. I was shocked when I left my first appointment with checks for food for me, my kids, a BREAST PUMP, and medella milk storage bags. I don't know if it varies by state but that was how it worked in AZ.

Melissa Hernandez said...

So, I had to do the research on this since there is so much controversy, I was just throwing in the whole WIC idea because it didn't make any sense on why people would qualify for a tax credit. but after I researched the whole thing. Apparently Michelle obama is doing it because 40% of black babies never get breastfed, and the black community is becoming obese, children who are breastfed have a less chance of being obese....alright....I guess it's a race thing. Still, I don't really care..but I had to find out what all the controversy was about. I guess now we can argue over wether or not Michelle Obama is racist, since white people are just as chubby, LOL!! Totally kidding!!

Mrs. Bennett said...

Ginger, this is your blog and you can say what you like - don't worry about offending anyone. And I love a good discussion/debate. From what I've read, the Obama administration has been making a push for breastfeeding by allowing breast pumps and other nursing supplies to qualify as medical supplies - and tax breaks. I don't think they'll be requiring you to breastfeed for a certain time or monitoring you. Its just a tax break for an expensive medical device. I think that's great!