Friday, December 3, 2010

Alaska Here We Come....



We've always dreamed of ending up in Alaska. We just never believed it would happen in the 3rd year of our marriage. Here's a brief update on how things have just "fallen in to place".

Glacier Bay, Ak. 2002. I lived and worked here for five months and fell in love at first sight. I always knew I would come back, just didn't know when.

Seward, Ak 2008. Honeymoon. I would say "enough said", but well, since we took our honeymoon six months after we were married, we didn't spend the whole time in the cabin. Our honeymoon quarters were not your typical bride and groom quarters. We had a space heater, bunk beds and a bucket too pee in. We spent as much time as we possibly could enjoy every aspect that Alaska has to offer. Bill fell in love with Alaska and I fell in love all over again with this beautiful piece of God's land.

So, on the train ride when we met her, it wasn't any surprise that they exchanged numbers. Her husband owned an engineering firm and Bill just happened to be looking for a job. He was already interviewing and interested in a position that would move us to Colorado, so her husband told Bill to keep his number in case he was ever interested down the road. Bill went ahead and accepted the Colorado position.

As many know, Bill has been on the road for the past 2 1/2 hears. I've essentially been a single Mom this whole time. Its been exhausting, its been challenging and its been nothing I ever expected I'd have to go through in the beginning years of my marriage.

I know its been hard on Bill, but he just hasn't expressed it as much.

A few months ago Bill finally got to a point where he felt he could be "open" to other opportunities. One Saturday he had to take an emergency trip to Wyoming and so the kids and I went along for the drive. We discussed different options and I asked Bill if He had this individual's information in Alaska. He said he has tried finding the contact info for him, but had lost it. Subject was dropped.

On Monday, Alaska had sent Bill an email, basically offering him a job. Ever since, everything has fallen in to place for us to take the offer. Let me repeat that, EVERYTHING has fallen in to place for us to take the offer.

So, here we are, just weeks away from starting this sudden dream. Nothing has been packed, because I'm scared and I'm sad. This goodbye is going to be the hardest goodbye I've had to have. I don't want to leave my friends and I certainly don't want to leave my family.

But, Alaska is going to give Me a husband and Alaska is going to give my babies a Father. If that's all Alaska gives me, it will be worth it.

I hope being a bit more faithful on this blog will help my family and friends experience the adventure with us.

3 comments:

Christian, Kerri, & The Boys said...

I am so excited for you guys even though we will miss you. We will come and visit you though!! Love you lots and thanks for updating you blog FINALLY!

Anonymous said...

My wife still kicks ass... Helga and Thor are pretty cool too...

Becky said...

How exciting for you guys. I understand it being sad and scary but so EXCITING at the same time. I need your email address so I can add you to my invite list on my blog (we are private and so glad that you are blogging again so we can keep up with pictures of your cute kids and family. Take care! My email address is beckycoxxx@hotmail.com