Everyone who knows me well knows that I say what's on my mind, for the most part anyways. As long as I'm not hurting someone else, I will put it out there. In the end I think I've only hurt myself. Sayings amongst friends and family in a private setting is one thing, broadcasting it to the world is another.
Overall, these are a few of the conclusions of the negative aspects that Facebook has brought into my life.
#1. I spend more time socializing in a virtual world than with my kids.
#2. For me, Facebook has become a lazy way to communicate. It allows me to keep in touch with a mass of people at once, but not get in to the personal, authentic lives of those I hold close.
#3. The obvious. I scream to the world what a filthy mind I have. Also, its true what they say: What you think you become. I'm not total trash, but my thoughts are certainly putting me in the gutter everyday.
#4. I'm not as good as a wife and mother as I could be. For years that's all I ever wanted. Now that I have it, I'm more concerned with keeping in touch with my past than enjoying the present.
Of course FB can be used for good and I am certainly not judging those who choose to communicate by it. But for me, it brings out the worst in me. I feel giving it up will make me a better Wife, a better Mother, a better Friend and a better Person.
I can still be me and say what I want to say, but not to the extent of hindering who I want to become. Perhaps I am making a bigger deal out of this than I need too, but its the simple things that change you and make you better. I want people to remember me for who I am and not for the offensive words that have rolled off my tongue.
Here's to a better Me.
5 comments:
Ginger!
Just be you. I know sometimes I spend too much time on there but hey thats ok sometimes. I have worked on just limiting my self to so many hours in the day to the virtual world. I am getting more done which is good. Don't fret about it so much. I could read you plenty of emails I have got on facebook saying I offended them and I always apologize but if they do not like it then then don't have to read what I write. Anyways, I love you and I am better person because I know you!
xoxox
Ker
I love you too, Ginger! I gave up Facebook when a comment I thought was only going to my daughter went to the whole world and several people got mad at me. Now I only stalk FB, I hardly ever comment any more and I NEVER post. That way I still know what's going on but don't get myself in trouble. I love your blog, by the way. Alaska is such a facinating place and I'm loving your posts about it.
Ginger, thanks for commenting on my blog! I am going to miss your posts on Facebook. :) But I admire your desire to better yourself. I have been thinking of getting rid of my Facebook for many of the same reasons you listed. But I really think I am addicted. I actually had Aaron password protect it, so I can only go on when he logs me in, and I only stay for a little bit after the kids are in bed. I am always wanting to be a better wife and mother too. It's a tough job!
Ginger,
I think you worry too much. I think you are probably a great mother and wife. I saw how you were at work and you are a wonderful person with a big heart and lots of kind words to say. You are funny and have a magnetic personality. I think we ALL live in the virtual world sometimes a little too much, however, I think it's a good thing when you are so far away from loved ones. Just because you enjoy intimacy with your husband doesn't mean your mind's in the gutter. My opinion for all it's worth. :)
Miss you lady and though I am sad we won't have our girly facebook chats anymore, I totally get your reasoning for saying good bye to facebook. I have always admired your ability to stand up for that you believe is right. You are a wonderful mom, fantastic wife and the best friend I could have asked for. Love you bunches girly!
Post a Comment