Sunday, July 24, 2011
Camping in Seward & Whale Watching Day Cruise
A week before I went on bed rest, we had the opportunity to spend a weekend in Seward with some friends, Annie and Tom and their little boy Daniel. We spent the weekend at Renfro's Lakeside Retreat and they had these little cabins next to a lake. It was beautiful and so peaceful. The first day we went to the Sea Life Center and walked around downtown Seward a little bit. Then we spent the rest of the day at our cabin.
On the 2nd day we were able to go on a 5 hour day cruise. It was beautiful but a little tough with Paisley and McKoy. Paisley couldn't sit still and wanted to run around the entire cruise ship. McKoy on the other hand cried practically the entire time, not just whined, but cried. He was so tired and just wanted to sleep and I got to sit down the whole time and deal with him. We did see a few humpback whales and lots of Sea Lions. We also ported at Fox Island for a all you can eat Salmon and Prime Rib lunch. It was a beautiful day and enjoyed it for the most part, despite cranky, crying kids
On the 3rd day Tom and Bill spent the day deep sea fishing for Halibut. Annie and I took the kids and tried hiking the trail to the Exit Glacier. The trail was stroller friendly up until the last part, so I had to turn around with my kids. I gave Paisley two sticks and tried to teach her how to continue hitting them together so she could keep the bears away. There was a sign posted at the beginning of the trail that stated if a Black bear came after you to fall down and play dead. If a brown bear came after you, you needed to play dead until he started eating you and then you were to try and fight back.
I was a bit paranoid.
It was a fun weekend and we so love being in Alaska. I have encouraged Bill to get out and enjoy the summer and so for the past few weekends he has either taken the kids camping and kayaking or he has gone fishing with Tom. We are stocking up on Salmon and I love seeing Bill enjoy his outdoor hobbies. He has worked so much over the past few years, he hasn't taken time out to enjoy life. He has become more social and loves to go enjoy all that Alaska offers with the kids or his friends.
I'm so happy to be here, we are so far from family and friends, but I love who Bill has become in Alaska. This is his paradise and he is in his element here. It makes me so happy to see the changes that have come over him and I am not the only one to have noticed this.
I will do better at posting more about my kids and Bill's summer and not just about my emotional roller coaster while lying in bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Man do I wish Bill could be "in his element" in Utah!!!! I miss you girl, but glad that you're happy with your gorgeous little family in "Gods Land".
Post a Comment