Last Sunday night I went in to the hospital. I had been having 2-3 contractions every hour for three days. Sunday morning I woke up having painful cramps and feeling very nausea's. I didn't really want to go in to the hospital, but finally caved and called Labor and Delivery Sunday evening. The nurse in triage felt I needed to come in right away.
So here goes the usual. Pee in a cup, put on the gown that opens in the back and shows off my nasty legs and butt, lay down and get monitored. Get the nice little swabby swab to test for infection as well as some other swabby swab I don't know anything about. Get wheeled to Ultrasound where the tech asks ME to stick the thingamajig up my yahoo and then oh, "he'll take over from there". What the ???? Don't I pay him to prod and poke my private area's??
So everything looks good. Great, that's what I really want to hear. I then get wheeled back to my room, back on the monitor. Oh, did I mention that my contractions were now coming every 5 minutes? What does the nurse open her mouth and say? "I wonder why the doctor even has you on bed rest". Hmmmm, JUST THE WORDS I NEEDED TO HEAR LADY!!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Oh and apparently she says that some women "just contract their entire pregnancy". Great, Dandy, thank you for your wonderful insight nursey nurse. Thanks for racking up over a thousand dollars in just two hours and sending me home with such valuable information.
I'm upset. Can you tell? All week I have been wondering what a waste of time. All the service, all the time and money and worry that I have caused everyone. I want to trust a Doctor who has been practicing for over 40 years over a nurse that seemed a little annoyed that I was even there. But, all week her words keep playing over and over in my mind "don't know why you're even on bed rest".
Blah. I'm a blubbery ball of a burden and I am tired of all the different opinions I am getting from the medical staff. Just tell me to trust my doctor and not listen to anyone else. Please? For my sanity, I need to know this all isn't a waste :(
3 comments:
is there another ob.gyn up there that can give u a second opinion about bed rest...just to ease ur mind? sounds so frustrating, i would be frustrated too!!
Oh. My. Hell. I would be soo mad! And WHAT the heck is up with the ultrasound tech asking you to do that??!! Seriously!! Wow Ginger I am so sorry! But I do think you can rest assured that your doctor knows what he's doing and even though I know it's impossible try not to put too much thought into the nurse's insensitive comment. I guess the bottom line is that your baby is doing well which may be a direct result of you being on bedrest. And it's a blessing for others to have the opportunity to serve so don't feel bad about that. I'm sorry Ginger. Keep us posted and it's okay to feel angry and resentful sometimes! xoxoxo
I can't speak for the rest of your experience, but I can tell you that the ultrasound tech has been taught to do it that way in respect for his and your feelings/comfort level. They are taught that most patients feel more comfortable inserting the probe themselves than having a stranger do it, especially a male stranger. I really think he was trying to be sensitive to your feelings.
Hang in there, Honey!
Much love to you and your sweet babe.
Post a Comment