
Perhaps the reason we respond so universally to our mothers’ love is because it typifies the love of our Savior. As President Joseph F. Smith said, “The love of a true mother comes nearer [to] being like the love of God than any other kind of love” (“The Love of Mother,” Improvement Era,Jan. 1910, 278).
So maybe this isn't the best picture of My Mother showing the Love of God, but I just don't have many pictures of Her. She hates getting her picture taken, but I do love this picture of her.
I've been thinking a lot about "Motherhood" lately. Most of it has been about me and my ability to be a Mom. Obviously, Its been more of a frustrating view than a positive view.
So, at the beginning of the week, I decided to make a goal and read something every day about the inspiration a Mother has on Her children. I can't believe the difference its already made. Its just been a simple difference, not a profound one I was hoping for, but I'm okay with simple. Simple is good.
I cam across a few quotes that I really needed to hear. Here they are.
"Because mothers are essential to God’s great plan of happiness, their sacred work is opposed by Satan, who would destroy the family and demean the worth of women." - Russell M. Nelson
"Some of you sisters may feel inadequate because you can’t seem to do all you want to do. Motherhood and parenting are most challenging roles. You also have Church callings that you fulfill so capably and conscientiously. In addition, many of you, besides all this, have to work as well as care for your family. My heart goes out to the widows and the single-parent sisters who bear so much of the responsibility of parenting. In general you noble sisters are doing a much better job of holding it all together and making it work than you realize. May I suggest that you take your challenges one day at a time. Do the best you can. Look at everything through the lens of eternity. If you will do this, life will take on a different perspective."-James E. Faust
My own Mother did such a great job at holding things together. All this week I've been thinking of Her. I know she would disagree with me, but I really can't remember my Mom yelling at my siblings or I. My mother was always home when we got home from school. Not just elementary, but all through out high school as well. My mother was at church every Sunday. She cooked dinner every night. She always had home baked cookies and cakes. If she wanted to work out, she worked out at home or went for walks. She never dropped Us off at daycare somewhere to "get a break". She sewed our clothing for Us, as long as we would wear them. She always had the house clean. My mother is of few words, but she is a huge influence in my life. She goes out of Her way to make sure everyone else is taken care of, before her own needs are met.
The more I think about my Mom, the more I realize she was the perfect homemaker. I've only been at this for 2 1/2 years and already I am looking for "a daily break". I don't remember her expressing a need to get away from Us at all during the 18 years we were at home. I never remember hearing my Mother express she was dissatisfied with "just being a mom", she made me feel like we were the most important thing in Her life.
I'm so grateful my kids are so young and won't remember me complaining that I haven't enjoyed being just mom. I never want my children to think there was something out in the world that was more important than them. No job, no money, nothing. I want to make them feel just as important as my Mom made me feel.
I am working on appreciating and being grateful for having the ability to be at home with my kids and "Just Be Mom". I've got a great example to look up too. Thank you Mom for all that you've done and will continue to do. Thank you for being Just Mom.
6 comments:
Lovely thoughts, Ginger, thank you for sharing them.
I don't even know your mom but I love that picture anyway.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Ginger. This motherhood thing really is the most challenging job ever! You are a great example to me of looking for inspiration in the job.
Ginger you made me cry. As for the picture, I can't believe you did this to me:) I had to be thinking of Larry and his friends when I had that picture taken. And you just have a bad memory, because I did my fair share of yelling. Your kids have a wonderful mom and they will remember all that you do for them! Love YOU!!!!!!!!! And miss YOU!!!!!!!!
I loved this post Ginger! What an awesome woman your mom must be! I have been reading a book called "For Every Mother" by Janene Baadsgaard and it has made me think a lot lately about how lucky I am to be a mom. I definitely yell too much and complain of needing breaks. It's not easy to be a mom but I do love it and I loved your insight. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, you are an awesome mother and your beautiful children are so lucky to have a mom who is so honest and sincere!
I love that picture of your mom also. She acts like she's shy, but she's really not. This shows her "other side". Love it. The side most people don't know about. I don't know what I'd do with out her.
You have such an awesome way with words.
Hope you are doing okay. We all sure miss you.
I love you sweetie.
Aunt Amy
Post a Comment