Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Thankful

Its taken a move to Alaska for me to fully appreciate and gain a little more understanding on the sacrifice our troops have made for our country.

I've been told about 75% of our Ward is Military. We are within 15 minutes of an Air force Base and an Army Base.

Near our home is a walk way that goes over the highway and there are always signs welcoming home a mother or father, serving in the war.

I see the women in our ward struggle through their husbands being deployed and I hear the Men stand up and share their testimony or experience of being deployed. It amazes me what they are fighting for. It amazes me even more how the spouse makes it through the time their husband is gone. I can't imagine the fear they must experience as they say their goodbyes. Now that Usama Bin Laden is dead, their fear has increased.

Tonight it hit home a little more though. Our neighbors have been married a year, her husband is in the army. We haven't spoken much, just an occasional hello here or there. Anyhow, our doorbell rang a bit ago and as I opened the door, she stood there with tears flowing down Her face asking if She could use my phone. Her best friend had just called to inform Her, her husband had just been killed in Afghanistan and her cell phone had died. Of course I grabbed my phone and charger and told Her to keep it as long as she needed.

It was a quick exchange, maybe less than 2 minutes, but I can't get it out of my head. I feel so humbled and thankful that my husband is right here with me. I am so thankful for our soldiers and for their bravery. I am somewhat speechless and feel a bit ashamed for wallowing in my own self pity. I have it good. Real good. The reason I have it good is because of living in this country and having the freedom to choose my own path, my own life, my own career (whatever that may be) my own religion and my own future. I'm having this ahh haa moment and hoping it sticks. Whenever I get discouraged or frustrated, I just need to remember that at least I have my freedom to choose.

She just knocked on my door again, returning my phone. She just told me, her friend just had a newborn baby boy. I want to cry. I can't imagine my children growing up without their father. This newborn baby will never know his Daddy. This soldier.

My goodness, I must be pregnant. This makes me want to take in and savor every moment Bill spends with the kids. I think I'll go cry, better yet, I'll go say a prayer for this gal from Philly who just lost her husband in war.

2 comments:

Janan said...

Extremely grateful I won't ever have to live that reality! It is true, most Americans haven't a CLUE what these men, women, and their families truly go thru! Good post! I am crying too!!

Unknown said...

Love you Ging, be brave and know that we all love you and are praying for your family